Sunday, January 4, 2009

SYM Artist Profile #11 *** 2MEX ***


2MEX




2Mex of the Songodsuns and Visionaries is earning the title of The Hardest Working Man in Underground Hip-Hop. Hailing from Mid-City, this Los Angeles underground veteran began building his name at the famed original Good Life Cafe in Lemiert Park as one half of the duo OMD (Of Mexican Descent with partner Xololxinxco), and is a member of the Project Blowdian Afterlife crew. Touring the world with his group, Visionaries, 2Mex is becoming a favorite amongst audiences across the globe. He has released 2 Visionaries albums, "Galleries" and "Sophomore Jinx" on Up Above Records, an album with OMD "Exitos Y Mas Exitos" (Nerve Deafness Records), his solo effort "B-Boys in Occupied Mexico" (MEMO Records), and the "Mind Clouders Fake It Until You Make It" project with producer Mums the Word. 2Mex's guest appearances are too many to name. Through his hard work and dedication, he has proven to be a true emcee that has touched our hip hop community. 2Mex released his long awaited Songodsuns album entitled, "Over the Counter Culture," in 2005.








My name is 2Mex I'm not afraid of the cops I
just live, check to check and I stay hip hop
I got a brand new cd that I know you don't got
I got my own fat section at the mom and pops
And I'm the
Reason that your little brothers not a gangster
I'd like to take a little bit of time to just thank you
for buying imitations to weak toys
you've spawned a new nation of b-boys
the bling bling stuff was a mirage
I got your sister doing head spins in the garage
and you can pass the XO pass the Hennessey
Pass me the X-Clan and Public Enemy
The straight best from the underground west
You should buy a kid a book and not a bullet proof
Vest so if you're wondering why you should even try
All eyez are on me but I'm not ready to die

So when you feel down like you don't belong
And you actually care about lyrics in a song
I got this brand new drug
And it's the bomb
Its called run back home and hug your mom

And the chow shall feed them
And the chow shall feed them
The return of Fernandomania

My name is 2Mex and I'm proud to be brown
In L.A. I got a ghetto pass I'm allowed to be down
I'm a walk into your town like a bum or a clown
As soon as I open my mouth you hear the lyrics sound
I'm a miracle elephant it' s not a miracle (?)
West coast underground hip-hop is relevant
So go ahead and dissolve in the illusion
I know this song won' t solve the resolution
You might catch me in an Escalade
But I don't make hip hop to have sex and get paid






















The City of Angel’s own 2mex came through Reno back in August and sat down with Reno Passport for a few minutes to talk about developing music scenes. “I’ve been coming out here since 2000,” 2mex said. Living his teen years in an early-1990s LA, 2mex grew up on the coattail of the West Coast conscious hip-hop movement. “I was like 17, 18 when all that was hitting,” 2mex said. Los Angeles groups like The Pharcyde, Jurassic 5, and Freestyle Fellowship were continuing the movement started by A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul on the East Coast a few years earlier.
It’s kind of like kids in Reno nowadays watching their favorite local bands rap, and then going home and rapping in the mirror. “The way we do it, we’re in it for life,” 2mex said.
2mex has played half-a-dozen shows in Reno, from an outdoor show in Sun Valley legal graffiti wall to, most recently, downtown Reno’s The Underground. “We pretty much play any show that anyone hits us up. We play in back yards … we play in big venues.”

By Daniel Riggs
RENO PASSPORT